Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Child's Wish For a Basset

.. It was a regular day I was out getting a few things at the store.. I returned home .. greeted the gang .. I noticed my phone flashing.. I thought another basset needs rescuing.. The message said I have two bassets I brought from Edmonton that I need to relinquish for my brother in law.. Please call me. Hmmm I thought okay.. I called him .. he explained how his BIL had driven from Edmonton with 5 dogs in tow from his rescue that he could not find homes for before heading east to move back home here in Quebec. Two of these dogs were bassets.. one male tri-color Billy.. one female red and white Betty.. they are 3.5 years old. So he asked could I take them.. I said sure.. just fill out the relinquish papers and meet me at the dog park at 6:00 tomorrow..here she is..
Photobucket
Photobucket

.. Well little did I know how the Cosmos/Universe had plans.. I had just adopted out my last red and white basset that friday lunch time.. The same day I received an email about a 5 year old who has a very rare leukemia and who's red and white basset had died while she was undergoing treatments and she was heart broken..From Enfant Soleil.. See her video.. http://www.oes.qc.ca/Capitale-Nationale bottom left hand side.. Alyson Morin.. and her Personal website http://soso28.jimdo.com/ lists her favorite things.. Yes Bassets : Mon animal préféré:

Le chien,le basset

Ont a déja eu un chien,un basset,il s'appelait poppy je l'adorais ,ça fesait 7 ans qu'ont l'avait. Ont n'a dû s'en départir car avec mes traitements mon système devenait très faible et les animaux sont porteur de bactéries.

Heureusement,aujourd'hui j'y ai droit :)

This family had no funds to get her another basset.. and she wanted a rescue as they had had before.. This was all to wild for me .. I thought how could this be.. a red and white 3.5 year old basset is coming to me tonight from Edmonton.. This little girl has a wish list that includes having a red and white basset that would help her deal with her cancer.. as she cannot go out as her immune system is so compromised she is home schooled .. and here I was in the middle..

.. These bassets showed up.. not in the best of shape.. the girl had an urinary tract infection I discovered soon after bringing her home when she continually urinated on my kitchen floor with blood.. The next day we were off to the vets I brought a sample.. which is no easy feat with 8 bassets running around.. but I managed.. Sure enough she had the UTI.. it meant 10 days of Clavamox antibiotic.. I phoned the family of the little girl.. explained I had a basset for Alyson but she was sick and needed treatment for 10 days.. Well the Dad said.. That's alright Alyson knows all about treatments.. she's been sick for 2 years now and has chemo every wednesday for the next year ( if she survives ) she is 1 of 6 in Canada with this rare form of leukemia and has died twice already .. I said alright then but don't tell her let it be a surprise.. He agreed..

.. Tuesday was the day Alyson was to get Betty.. It was a long drive 4 hours to get there but we made it.. Alyson was resting.. Betty upon entering their home went to Alyson's bedroom door and nudged it open.. even though she was still on leash.. Alyson lifted her head and rolled out of bed.. talking and hugging Betty.. She asked if she could walk her and did.. I was talking with her parents trying to explain all that needed to be done for Betty.. I gave Alyson a big gift bag full of basset stuff.. she quickly put it in her room.. While I was talking with her Mom.. her Dad asked her " So do you like Your present " she was puzzled she thought I was visiting with Betty.. He told her " No.. this lady brought her for You " .. Well the tears started to flow.. She came running to hug me and say THANK YOU THANK YOU.. I LOVE HER.. My heart soared for this little girl .. who missed her Poppy ( her basset that passed away ) She hugged and sat talking with Betty.. She fed her gave her treats.. I brought all kinds of stuff with me for them..

.. I stayed 2 hours and knew I had a 4 hour drive back to my gang so I better get going.. Alyson had disappeared.. shortly she came out of her room with Betty and a picture she drew for me.. of her home .. a tree .. the daisies she picked for me when she walked Betty .. and of course Betty.. What a sweetheart this little girl was...

.. You know some days when I wonder .. What its all about.. I will always have this wonderful experience to draw upon.. For I thrive on Random Acts of Kindness .. and what better thing to do than make the WISH of a Little Girl.. come true.. Alyson and Betty.. My life is so much richer for knowing You both and the Universe allowing me to be a vessel for It.. As well the Municipality of Rigaud.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Her video.. http://www.oes.qc.ca/Capitale-Nationale#/video/11 notice the basset..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so sweet :]
you are amazing