Sunday, November 1, 2009

Day In The Life Of a Shelter Volunteer

.. Hello Readers.. I received this from a friend who works in a kill shelter.. these are NOT like rescue centers as you will read.. So PLEASE sign this petition

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/987653849




Hello Everyone,

As many of you may have heard, I walked out of the ACC last week for good.

I spent six extremely frustrating, heartbreaking weeks working in the shelter environment; which was not what I agreed to when I was offered the job -- my job ended up being nothing like it was supposed to be, and not a good use of my time and effort... I could save far more pets if allowed to do what I was hired for.

I have seen and heard things that I will never forget; I believe I have post traumatic stress disorder because I keep seeing the faces of dogs that I promised homes to --only to find out they were in the freezer when I had finally found a home.



Every day it is like playing BEAT THE CLOCK WITH LIFE AND DEATH AND ALMOST ALWAYS LOSING! How many times can a heart break like that? I reached my limit, probably faster than most, but I believe that happens when you love animals as deeply as I do.

The need for people to get out adopt and foster is dire! There are NO words to describe what these animals endure - shelter life is hell on earth. Not because of anything intentionally done, but just because it is what it is... HELL before heaven --- either heaven in the form of a home, or heaven in the form of the Rainbow Bridge .

I truly feel like I have been to hell.

These poor pets don't have much chance once they enter those shelter doors because so few people actually go to the shelter to seek out a pet and only a small amount of adoptable pets are actually shown to the public because of limited space in the adoptions rooms.



There are so many desperate dogs and cats behind doors that the public has no access to, so no one knows they are there and opportunities are repeatedly missed for both adopters and the pets! The lucky ones are the ones that the New HOPE Girls and Maggie O'Neil get out... but they can only do so much and try so hard!!!

Also, another killer for me was seeing the betrayal on the faces of the pets whose owners surrendered them --- So many times I wanted to jump up from my desk and scream at these people who take the easy way out without ever thinking of what life will be like for their pet once they drive away.



Then there were the people who would round up the litters of kittens in their yards or the friendly cat that made the mistake of saying hello to them --- they would put them carriers and dumped off at the ACC as a stray!!! It infuriated me to watch their reactions when told that these pets could face euthanasia --- most just shrugged their shoulders. I will never get it or forget it!!!

The other daily tear-jerker for me was hearing the non-stop desperate cries, wails and barks of dogs who are anxious, scared, heartbroken and bored out of their minds. This is torture to an animal lover like me.....

Oh, and the cats and kittens!!!! Watching them decline each day was devastating.



I'd see them go from being happy and greeting me in the morning to depressed and so sick with upper respiratory infections that they were sneezing like crazy and had bubbles coming out of their noses. They looked and felt miserable, needed to be loved and treated with tons of care in a quiet place, but instead, they were stuck in cages without any love or real care.

Being exposed to these things day after day, took a toll on me. I felt tormented at the end of each day and cried through almost every dinner for the last six weeks ----- my poor boyfriend!!!

I have not had one good night's sleep in weeks... there are certain images that are deeply embedded in my mind!!!



My last heartbreak was a ten year old black cocker spaniel -- this dog visits me, or rather haunts me, every night at 2am. She was an owner surrender because of personal problems. She was scared to death and to top it off, she was blind.



I spent about ten minutes talking to this poor old dog with tears she couldn't see, flowing down my face. At that age, and being blind, a kill shelter was the last place on earth she deserved to end up or spend her last few days. I made her a promise I would find her a home... I got distracted and a few hours later I tried to pull up her kennel card so I could get all her information to send out one of my "famous emails" begging you all to help.... she was in the FREEZER already....I was too late, again!

My heart sank, I felt like I was kicked in the stomach and my eyes once again filled with tears.... To this little black cocker I say this, "I loved you and wanted to help you, but I was too late. I am so very sorry, but at least you are not terrified anymore by the sounds you could hear and the sights you couldn't see!"

I felt like I failed this poor little lady. I felt like I should have done more, acted quicker or thrown myself in front of her when they came to bring her to her moment of death. Oh how I am haunted by this poor thing. I guess I am too soft... so many others working in the shelter are NOT affected by this, perhaps they are used to the daily death, but daily death of innocent pets is something I can never get used to and if I did, then I couldn't live with myself!

Thanks much to everyone who read my desperate emails, forwarded them to family and friends and tried so hard to help me save as many as I could! I appreciated the support!



Remember, ALWAYS CONSIDER ADOPTING OR FOSTERING A SHELTER PET instead of PURCHASING!! ! THE NEED IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ACCURATELY DESCRIBE -- unless you spend a week in the shelter, you really have NO IDEA what the shelter life is like. I got an unforgettable education!



I am not saying that they have any other options there, they don't because they are contracted to take in everything surrendered.



I am saying that things could be done differently in terms of spectacular events and making the NEED known... and being more proactive in terms of letting adopters know that there are so many other pets behind the next set of doors that NEED homes...



My feeling is that no adopter should ever walk out of the shelter empty handed and without being asked, "what were you looking for, can I show you some more pets before you go?"

Yesterday, I heard on 1010Wins that the ACC was making it public that they were adopting out all cats over age one for free, and that they had not put any pets to sleep for space during the last three months!



To 1010Wins news I say this. "Space" is an interesting term.



Maybe it is not called "space" when you euthanize a dog or cat that has caught an UPPER RESPIRATORY OR KENNEL COUGH, or when you decide to change their behavior from mild or no concern to moderate or severe...(some valid, many not) but it is still death. And all these SICK animals or behavior issue animals are put to sleep to make space... so the wording is really interesting, and when did URI's and Kennel Cough become illnesses that couldn't be cured???



In my humble opinion, a dead animal is a dead animal and they should ALL COUNT!



If they came in alive, and leave dead, they should count as dead. Does anyone else agree?

Way too many leave in frozen in black bags. If things were done differently --- and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is wrong, or to make the changes necessary ---- they would need fewer black bags!

I plan on continuing to do what I do best - saving them through adoption events and arranging for foster care. Because of my soft heart, I believe that I am better at a distance.


Us rescues up here transport from the USA all over to help workers/volunteers in kill shelters.. Its an everyday list sadly.. but we can only do what we can.. So please sign

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is the most sad story I have
heard.............
I would not have lasted 6 hours

Poor, poor dogs and cats.......It,s
horrible

Hopefully she will be capable to
put what she saw behind her. She
will never forget but she has to go
on