Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Some Days I Shake My Head

... Yesterday was definitely a day for that.. I received an email about Riley.. They said I hope we get him for free.. I was stunned.. You know people don't realize the expense with a rescue dog.. here is how most go..

Phone rings or email comes.. I have a basset I can no longer look after ( whatever lame reason I get ) .. well where are you.. usually its 60-100 miles away at the least I've picked up as far as Beaufort Quebec.. Almonte Ontario.. and all points in between.. So I say okay I'll come and get him/her .. thats gas both ways.. chances are they are not sterilized or vetted.. so a trip to the vet.. that can run $250.00 to $350.00 depending whats needed.. sometimes more.. then they need recovery time.. then they come here for who knows how long.. now all this time they are being cared for .. fed the best food to improve their health.. that can run $70.00 a bag.. then someone emails about fostering or adopting.. this means a home visit.. now some of my fosters are in Ottawa.. as are some of my adoptees.. So I run up and down the 417 frequently.. to show a dog or home visit.. Then if someone wants a " Trial " period.. again I must take the dog there.. more gas.. If it works out then its just a case of the final contract.. but if it doesn't I go back more gas.. this also may be in a time frame of weeks.. In the meantime I take out of my pocket to keep this rescue going.. Yes there are fees to adopt but rarely does it cover the costs.. I don't get many donations.. I cannot remember the last one.. No I'm not complaining.. it just BUGS me when people say " what he/she is not free " or " to expensive " If they feel that way then surely they cannot afford to keep that dog in good health as premium food and vetting yearly is not cheap.. and NOT doing it puts your pet in peril.. So I shake my head.. Sigh!!!!

End of rant..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE ABSOLUTLY RIGHT...........
you wonder sometimes if some people
are on the same planet.......

They think because it says RESCUE
it means that you want to get rid of
the dogs............

How wrong they are. You love them
and you only want THE BEST for them
so if they are not willing to pay
some fees then they are not the best

Louise said...

If they can't afford the fee they can't afford the dog PERIOD!

BHRQ said...

Well for me its common sense to realize what rescues go through to help these dogs.. Alas I just have to be patient.. the right Guardians will come along for each basset..