Monday, August 4, 2008

Billy The Kid.. Crossed The Bridge..

Photobucket

.. What a day this has been.. heart wrenching to say the least.. Billy was out of sorts last night he seemed real quiet.. did not want to eat.. I figured he was just having a hard day.. This morning I fed everyone as usual and Billy again left his food.. this wasn't good.. but I had an appointment with little Charlotte to see a possible " Forever Home " .. I left there made a quick pit stop to pick up some more Quilted Wall Hangings for a Charity Fundraisor then came home..

.. Billy was drooling and coughing.. I felt his throat I thought maybe he ate something while I was out and it was stuck.. No I felt lumps.. my heart sank.. I knew these .. I had had a weimaraner several years back that had something similar.. I called the vet for an appointment ASAP.. they fit me in today at 6:15 .. as I sat in the waiting room Billy of course attracted attention as all bassets do.. but he just wagged his tail a bit and laid on the cool floor as its quite humid here today. Well we were called in.. The vet asked so whats up with Billy.. I said I'm not sure he has swollen glands I think.. she felt them then felt him all over.. and I saw " THAT LOOK " the one every pet owner dreads .. Helen.. he has lymph node cancer all over him.. feel here and here.. My eyes welled up .. there was nothing to be done .. He needed to be put to sleep.. I was shaking.. how could this be.. he finally had a chance at a " good life " to only be robbed.. She said your doing the right thing.. anything less wouldn't be .. I looked at her and said okay.. Do you want to stay.. I said of course I owe him that.. It was done..

.. I said I'll be back for the ashes to bury him properly.. and left.. I stopped at the desk.. paid the bill .. went to my van and wept all the way home..

.. No one said it was going to be easy.. Rest In Peace Billy..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness im so sorry, it is great that you showed him love for the short time he had..

im at a loss for words..

:[